Well, honestly, for me, personally, 2008 sucked it big time for various reasons. I’ll try to be positive here, but I make no promises. Read on for my list of the Best and the Worst 2008 had to offer.
Best of 2008
1) Bandage is Back- thank you Alaia and Herve Leger
If you love “Clueless” like I do, you’ll know that Cher wears an Alaia when she is robbed at gunpoint and forced to ruin her dress. Yes, Alaia, is the 1980’s and 90’s designer famous for skin tight bandage dresses. It seems every designer paid homage to Alaia and Herve Leger on the Spring 2009 runways. My favorite was Narcisco Rodriguez Spring 2009 sexy bandage inspired designs. They are simply amazing and so sexy.
2) Betsey Johnson’s 30th Birthday!
Yep, Betsey Johnson is 30 years old! Well, her namesake clothing line is 30, Betsey is well beyond that. But when you are in your 60’s and still doing cartwheels on the runway and wearing crazy extensions and poufy skirts, age ain’t nothing but a number, baby! She had her retrospective runway show last February in the tents. Her designs are as true to Betsey’s image today as they were 30 years ago. Rock on Grandma!
3)The return of tie-dye. (although I could do without the return of hippy hipsters)
When I was in high school my mom yelled at me all the time for bleaching and dying pretty much everything, especially my jeans. It’s so easy to do it yourself too. Just grab some rubber bands, some bleach and some RIT dye in a rainbow assortment of colors, then make a mess in your tub or washing machine. Just, spare yourself from looking like a Nicole Richie clone and leave the hippy headband at home, and for the love of fashion don’t even think of buying, let alone wearing, those bug eye sunglasses Nicole is always wearing.
4) Exposed Zippers!
I’ve always loved exposed metal zippers and they were all over the Spring 2009 runways. See the zipper centric Narcisco Rodriguez dresses above. The artful details of 3.1 Phillip Lim are pretty and unique. Yeah and I’ve got exposed zippers on my Spring 2009 collection as well. They are so rock star sexy.
5) Lily Donaldson
My favorite supermodel of the years goes to the British Blonde Bombshell Lily Donaldson. She’s everywhere and I hear she’s actually nice, unlike my other favorite British Blonde Bombshell, Kate Moss.
1) The economy sucked it big time. Unemployment is high. No one is buying anything anymore. Wall Street crashed. The Second Great Depression is coming if not already here. Nuff said.
Worst of 2008
2) So many fashion companies, stores, and magazines bit the dust this year due to the economy. Here is a list of only a few of the many casualties:
3) Not so much worst, just sad. Many notable people in the fashion industry kicked the curb this year. R.I.P.
4) Straight boys that keep wearing jeans skinnier than mine!
5) Chris Cornell goes Pop!
No reactions to display.