Sesame Street character Cookie Monster is famous for his love of cookies and one of his favourites has to be sugar cookies! His fabulous sugar cookie dough recipe first appeared in the 1970’s in Big Bird’s Busy Book but here’s some childhood roll back for you bakers!
If the font’s not legible for you, here you go:
Medium-sized mixing bowl
Measuring cup and spoons
1. Put 3/4 cup of butter or margarine (that’s a stick and a half) into your mixing bowl.
2. Measure 1 cup of sugar.
3. Pour sugar over butter.
4. With fork, squash butter and sugar together until they are blended.
5. Crack shells of two eggs and pour eggs over mixture in bowl.
6. Measure 1 teaspoon vanilla and pour over mixture.
7. With fork, blend everything in the bowl together.
8. Measure 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and pour over mixture in bowl.
9. Measure 1 teaspoon baking powder and sprinkle over flour.
10. Measure 1 teaspoon of salt and sprinkle over flour and baking powder.
11. Mix everything together either with the fork or with your hands.
12. Put dough in icebox to chill (at least one hour)
Because of the fact that the recipe is for the dough only, if you wish to put it into the oven, most sugar cookie recipes recommend rolling it out 1/4 inch thick, sprinkle with sugar, and bake at 400 degrees.
I, myself love baking in the oven, so I’ll definitely try this out sometime soon!
Show All Reactions